UMBA Deco Cake – Sugar Art Contest to Include Cupcake and Sugar Showpiece Categories
The 2030 Deco Cake- Sugar Art Contest will include new categories to allow decorators and pastry chefs several new options to show off their best work and compete for cash and trophies. This year’s contest will add Cupcake and Sugar Showpiece categories to the popular Fondant Wedding Cake and Novelty/ Specialty Categories. The Cupcake category will be unique in that entries will be judged on appearance and taste. Contest details are included below.
Beginner/Student: Less than two years experience
Intermediate/Advanced: More than two years experience
Fondant Wedding Cakes – Cakes with two or more tiers-cake must be covered in fondant. Decorations may be fondant, butter cream, gum paste, royal icing, isomalt or chocolate.
Novelty/Specialty – Any cake with a theme such as: Birthday, Anniversary, Christmas Easter, etc. Any sugar medium or technique may be used. Sculpted cakes may be entered in this category.
Cupcakes- A display of 6 or more cupcakes which will be judged on appearance and taste. Cupcakes may be arranged on a stand or decorative base. Contestants may include extra cupcakes for the tasting if desired.
Sugar Showpiece- A showpiece made of sugar or Isomalt.
• No pre-registration required, however, on-site registration is required. Registrants must be members of UMBA in order to qualify for Cash Prizes
• Cakes may be set up Friday, February 22, between 3:00 and 5:00 PM, or Saturday, February 23 between 8:00 AM and 2:00 PM.
• Judging begins promptly at 2:30 PM. Any cakes delivered after 2:00 PM will not be judged but placed for display purposes only.
• Gold winners will be announced at the Saturday evening banquet. The remaining awards will be given out at the award ceremony, Sunday at 11 a.m.
• Entries must be exclusive work of the entrant and may not have been entered in any other competition
• Cakes are judged on appearance, points will be given for neatness, originality, creativity, colors, and degree of difficulty.
• Decisions of the panel of judges is final
• No business identifying marks, advertisements, or photos will be allowed until the completion of the judging, Saturday evening. After judging business cards may be placed by the cakes. Cakes must stay on display until the end of the awards ceremony on Sunday.
• Cakes are judged with a point system: Gold, Silver, and Bronze awards will be given in each category. All cakes with qualifying points will be awarded.
• Best of Show will be chosen by the judges, all cakes qualify for this award.
• People Choice will be awarded to the cake with the most votes. Voting for People Choice continues until Sunday at 9:00 AM. The winner will be announced at the award ceremony Sunday.
• Cash prizes of $100 will be given to the Best of Show and People’s Choice in both divisions. Award winners must be UMBA members in order to receive the cash prizes. If a non member wins Best of Show or People’s Choice, they will receive the trophy but not the accompanying cash prize.