College of St. Benedict
I. TITLE: Head Baker
II. DEPARTMENT: Culinary Services
III. REPORTS TO: Executive Chef
IV. BASIC FUNCTIONS
Under the general direction of the Executive Chef, this position will oversee and participate in the production of all bakery functions to include but not limited to residential dining, catering and retail outlets.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES
- Identify the educational needs of the bakery staff; develop formal and informal educational training.
- With the Executive Chef and department managers develop and define bakery items for the catering menu, McGlynn’s/O’Connell’s and G2G outlet.
- Develop and create new and creative bakery items including signature items.
- Communicate with the purchaser for ordering all food and supplies to meet production needs.
- Develop, set and maintain quality control standards for bakery items.
- Recommend changes in material or procedures to improve quality, productivity, food and labor costs.
- Encourage and build mutual trust, respect and cooperation amongst team members.
- Provide guidance and direction to subordinates, including setting performance standards and monitoring performance.
- Participate in the recruitment, interviewing, selection and promotion of staff.
- With the Executive Chef establish short term and long range objectives and specify the strategies and actions to achieve them.
- Make decisions and solve problems by analyzing information and or feedback which will result in the best solution and the success of the operation.
- Handle complaints, settle disputes and resolve grievances and conflicts.
- Maintain the highest levels of customer service practices at all times.
- Report all injuries within 24 hours.
- Responsible for staff schedule.
- Inspect equipment and materials to identify the cause of errors or other problems or defects.
- Provide information and follow up to supervisors, co-workers and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail or in person.
- Hold pre-shift meetings with members of the bakery to ensure that everyone understands the shift’s assignments and any other pertinent information.
- Meet weekly with the Executive chef
- Attend weekly production meetings and relay pertinent information to bakery staff.
- Attends meetings as required.
- Collaborate with the Menu Manager and Data Specialist to maintain production records and recipes utilizing food service computer program.
- Perform other work duties as assigned.
- High School diploma required
- Bakery education preferred
- 5 years of industry (bakery production) experience with at least four years of supervisory experience.
- Ability to lift and move 50 lbs. on occasion
- Serve Safe certification.
- Good verbal and communication skills
- Ability to teach and mentor student and professional staff
- Good sense of timing and ability to prioritize
- Ability to work varied hours and days as needed
- Demonstrated excellent baking and presentation skills
- Must demonstrate a high proficiency with all bakery products, especially pastries and breads
- Must be comfortable in front of customers even under stressful situations
- Ability to stand temperature fluctuation and perform physical activities that require considerable use of your arms and legs and moving your whole body, such as climbing, lifting, balancing, walking stooping and handling of materials.
- Ability to learn and retain needed computer skills
- Ability to interact with the community of the College of St. Benedict as an integral part of staff
- Project a positive image of service which represents the unit to which assigned
- Ability to acquire an understanding of the character and mission of the College of St. Benedict
- A willingness to maintain a high level of competence. Discreet judgment
and confidentiality are expected at this level of responsibility.
APPOINTMENT: Support staff Full time FTE .92
Visit www.csbsju.edu for more information and contact information.
Northwoods Baking Company – In the beautiful town of Frederic Wisconsin is looking for bakery help.
Looking for passionate individuals with any degree of baking skills, and the willingness to learn under the tutelage of the current ownership team.
Call 651 983 0119 or email at email@example.com
Experience the small town life with big city work.
115 Oak Street West
Frederic WI 54837
Classified Ad Wanted – List your help wanted, resell replaced equipment, or anything else here. Contact Peter Nowicki 651-459-6719 firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.