Download Application Here.
Curtis Borchert – Dexter Larson Scholarship Fund
In order to support employees in the bakery industry, UMBA offers two scholarships of $500.00 to high school seniors and current returning: vocational/technical/college students. Scholarships are also available for people working in the baking industry that would like to take short-term seminars at AIB and other accredited baking programs.
Scholarship applicants are required to be one of the following:
1. Family member of the owner or owner of a retail or in-store/supermarket bakery that is a UMBA member.
2. An employee of a retail or in-store/supermarket bakery that is a UMBA member.
3. Student in a Culinary Institute or Baking School working toward a baking/food service or related career that has completed at least one one semester of school.
Nominee must have:
1. The applicant is to be a student in a baking/food related post secondary educational program.
2. Applicants under option 3 must have a cumulative 2.5 grade point average on a 4.0 scale.
3. Applications are due by January 31. Scholarships are awarded at the annual convention and checks are issued upon proof of completion of the seminar or semester of school. Proof may include a transcript, certificate or report card.
Applicants for vocational/ technical school are asked to complete the following application form and return along with it a short essay of 250 words answering the following question: “Why is the baking/food industry a good choice for a career path for you and what difference do you feel you can make in this industry?”
If applying for a seminar, please respond to the following: “How will additional education make you a better baker and how will it affect your job/business?”
Mail applications to:
Upper Midwest Bakery Association
462 James St. NW
Hutchinson, MN 55350
or Email applications to:
Applications are due by January 31, 2016
Scholarships to be awarded at the annual convention March 4-5, 2017