Curtis Borchert – Dexter Larson Scholarship Fund
In order to support employees in the bakery industry, UMBA offers four scholarships of $500.00 to high school seniors and current/
returning: vocational/technical/college students. Scholarships are also available for people working in the baking industry that
would like to take short term seminars at AIB and other accredited baking programs.
Scholarship applicants are required to be one of the following:
1. Family member of the owner or owner of a retail or in-store/supermarket bakery that is a UMBA member.
2. An employee of a retail or in-store/supermarket bakery that is a UMBA member.
3. Student in a Culinary Institute or Baking School working toward a baking/food service or related career that has completed at
least one one semester of school.
Nominee must have:
1. The applicant is to be a student in a baking/food related post secondary educational program.
2. Applicants under option 3 must have a cumulative 2.5 grade point average on a 4.0 scale.
3. Applications are due by January 31. Scholarships are awarded at the annual convention and checks are issued upon proof of
completion of the seminar or semester of school. Proof may include a transcript, certificate or report card.
Applicants for vocational/ technical school are asked to complete the following application form and return along with it a shortessay of 250 words answering the following question: “Why is the baking/food industry a good choice for a career path for you and what difference do you feel you can make in this industry?”
Click here for previous scholarship winners
Click here for the 2014 scholarship application.
Mail applications to:
Upper Midwest Bakery Association
729 Park Avenue
North Mankato, MN 56003
For more information call 320 493 7554
Applications are due by January 31, 2014 | Scholarships to be awarded at the annual convention February 22-23, 2014
2013 Curtis Borchert Scholarship Recipient – Gabe Howard (also pictured Joann Borchert)